02 June 2009

Day 2 - From Puke to Pizza to an Accordian Player in the Moonlight

Yesterday was a haze. I was so tired; I knew I was in Paris, but I wasn't exactly "here" in the mental sense.

I fell asleep around 9 p.m. last night and woke up briefly when the sun was up. Eric wasn't awake yet, so I went back to sleep until 10:30 a.m. I figure I got 12-13 hours of sleep, so I felt GREAT! I haven't had that much sleep since before I was pregnant with Ella.

The problem is, of course, that it's now 10:30 p.m., and I'm not tired in the least. The jet lag continues ...

So today, we didn't get out of the house until almost 2 p.m. After sleeping late, Ella woke up complaining of being "shivery and having a sore throat." I proceeded to get ready until she actually threw up all over the hallway. Thank God it was hardwood and not on the Oriental rugs in this place!

Now, I know how I'd proceed with that mess at home -- with a lot of paper towels and Chlorox Clean-Ups. But here? I had to search for some-sort-of-disinfectant. Then I grabbed a bucket, because we had precious-few paper towels, but I just couldn't go through with it (the bucket thing). I had to grab the paper towels for the first go-around. Then I moved to the bucket of water with some-sort-of-disinfectant. Finished up with a liberal spraying and polishing with some-sort-of-Windex.

Ella felt MUCH better after that and didn't even have the sore throat anymore. So I whipped her in the shower to clean up. Then I had to figure out how to use this crazy washer/dryer combo unit. Since then, we've had a lesson on how to use all of the appliances. But the stuff I threw in the dryer (two hand towels, pajamas, sweater, Ella's blanket) are still damp after 2.5 hours in the dryer. I'm not impressed with these laundry facilities; I think we'll be air-drying a lot of our clothing.

The guy who showed us how to use the appliances also told us how to dispose of our garbage. We just have to go through the "Acces Caves" door and head to the basement. Sounds like we might need to bring our spelunking gear, no?

For a late lunch, we headed to a diner called Breakfast in America, and Ella ate some pancakes. Dinner was at a pizza & pasta place -- not French cuisine, but really great Italian-style pizzas. The only French food we had today was French ice cream. It was a 2-Euro cone that had a scoop of ice cream on it the size of a golf ball. Seriously, a golf ball! But it was divine. Really divine!

Other than that we explored the neighborhood today. I have no direction sense, so I'm really checking out all of the landmarks to get my bearings. Of course, having Notre Dame across the river is a pretty major landmark. We headed over there just a few minutes ago to stroll around. It looks amazing with all of the lighting. And it was really cool to come around the corner and hear a man playing his accordion on the corner. Eric took some beautiful photos (of the church, not the accordion-player) with his nifty Leica camera.

Now it's time to pop a Melatonin and try to get some sleep. Ella's watching a little Sponge Bob, and Eric is searching for some camera gear. The sky is finally dark, and the day is finis!

No comments:

Post a Comment