01 June 2009

Looks like we made it . . .

So we're here. I'm looking out our apartment window at the side of Notre Dame Cathedral. Aside from the no sleeping thing, the trip flight went smoothly.

We were so tired by the time we got settled in, it required incredible will to walk a block to a cafè for lunch. I've learned that Croque-Monsieur is a ham and cheese on burnt toast. It was just okay.

Then we had to do the grocery shopping. The list was short: milk, bread, Coke Lite, and some other assorted junk. I didn't carry any of it, because I was carrying an unconscious Ella instead.

Got back to the apartment and had to sleep -- but we only allowed ourselves 30 minutes. It kind of helped. 

Beautiful breezy, sunny day in Paris and there we were inside trying to muster the will to go out. Eventually struck on the idea to take one of the boat tours on the Seine, which was fun. Ella slept through most of it. JJ and I saw everything! The Louvre (well the outside of it), the D'Orsay (again, the outside), the Eiffel Tower, bunch of bridges and other buildings. I guess we can go home now!

When it was over, Ella was unable to walk; she went total flop-out like a baby, sleeping on my shoulder as I carried her 40lb body through the bustling streets of Paris. So instead of venturing out for dinner and experiencing something new and gastronomical . . . we bought sandwiches at Subway and ate in our apartment. In our defense, Subway is actually underneath our apartment on the first floor, so the convenience factor played a big role.

As I write this, Ella is watching SpongeBob on her computer, streaming it all the way from our house in Wisconsin via the Slingbox. We have awesome internet here!

I didn't try much French today. My tongue could hardly do the English "R" so the Frenchy "R" was out of the question. I got in the odd "merci" but it sounded more like "messy" with the accent on the second syllable. I give my self a D- for effort. 

It's now 7:30 pm Paris time, just 12:30 back home. I want to stay up for another hour and half. I suppose the caffeine I just drank will help some. It's gonna take at least a few days to get adjusted, then we can focus more on the experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment