08 June 2009

Pompidou, Pompyoudon't

For today's adventure we decided to walk across the river to the Pompidou Center, a museum of modern art and design. The building itself is famous for being inside out. You see the support and mechanical ductwork all over the outside.


To me it looks like a construction project still in progress. The hamster habitrail you see is the escalator system that takes you up to each floor.

I guess it's kind of cool, but also seemed kind of dingy to me. We bought our tickets and headed up to the top floor and started with a couple of temporary exhibitions for a couple of artists I'd never heard of and can't remember now. One of them was pretty neat. He made sculptures out of wire. I liked the effect of it. Turn it one way and it looks like a mangled coat hanger, turn it another and it looks like a 6th grader drew a face with a sharpie.

The other exhibit was for a russian dude, but it wasn't up my alley and I was about to fall asleep from starvation. So we headed out of the building, across the street to have lunch. Pizza. Delicious. Felt much better.


Back to the Pompidou and . . . I lost my ticket. Nowhere to be found. Not in my pocketses, not anywhere. So that's how the Pompidou becomes the Pompyoudon't.

We headed back to our apartment. To bad we'd already had lunch, because we could have stopped for flunch!

Did I mention it was raining and about 50 degrees? We were dressed for 65 and sunny. We were Les Miserables!


No comments:

Post a Comment